There are many ways to make money in Pocket Frogs. The methods include: selling frogs, racing frogs, and selling decorations.
Breeding and Selling Frogs: A consistent money-making method
Selling frogs is very simple. You just take two tame frogs, breed them, and then wait for the egg to reach adulthood and 100% happiness, using potions or trips to the pond if necessary to speed things up. Once it reaches adulthood and 100% happiness, you can sell it for its maximum value.
Once you reach level 16, you have unlocked the most valuable frogs in the game. However, since all of the frogs from level 9 up take almost two days to reach maturity, getting the best profit from them can be time-consuming. Here is a method for making the most of the most valuable frogs in Pocket Frogs, without having to use potions:
- Fill all of your habitats with the best decorations, i.e. the ones that provide +36 happiness. These include the jewel flower, frog token, giant dew leaf, giant gold coin, and so on. With these decorations in your habitats, the frogs there will eventually all reach 100% happiness without you having to do anything, as long as there are at least two frogs in each habitat.
- Have two empty habitats. This is where you will put your baby frogs once they hatch. Make sure that both of these habitats are decorated with +36 happiness decorations.
- Get two of a type of frog with a high max value. The most valuable frogs in the game that I am aware of so far are worth over 10,000 coins.
- For the next several days, before bed each night, make eight eggs from these valuable frogs. Nine hours later, they will hatch and you can move the babies into one of the empty habitats, and as a bonus, your nursery is free so you can breed other frogs during the day. Breeding them before bed helps ensure that the eggs will hatch by the time you play the game the next day, unless you don't get a lot of sleep or something. But anyway.
- By the night of the second day, the first set of eight frogs that you made will be adults, and thanks to your decorations, they will all be 100% happy, meaning you can sell them right away. Since you bred two of the same type of frog together, you will get double the money that you spent to breed them.
- Continue making eight eggs each night and moving the hatched frogs into the empty habitat the next day. You can make over 40,000 coins a day this way if you breed the most valuable frogs in the game.
If you breed two frogs that have a different maximum value, then in order to guarantee that the pairing will be profitable, one of the frogs must be exactly 1/3 the maximum value of the other frog. This will guarantee that the breed cost won't be higher than the value of the least valuable frog. However, the actual profitability of any pairing will depend on the maximum values of the other resulting frogs. See profitable pairings for a list of frog pairings that always give a profitable result.
Selling Frogs from the Frog Mart
The Frog Mart sells frogs up to level 8 at a discount from their maximum value. You can buy and sell frogs from the market for a profit, but it takes a while to receive the frogs from the mailbox, and since the frogs only go up to level 8, you are limited to a rather small profit compared to what you can get from breeding frogs. Nevertheless, it is a way to profit.
The cash prize for first place and second place gives you a profit, but this profit is always lower than the amount that you would get if you took and sold one of the other frogs that you defeated in the race if you get first place. Therefore, if you are able to wait, or if you have stamps to spare, you can choose to take a frog if you win the race and then maximize its happiness and sell it for the best profit.
If you find decorations while hopping around on the pond, or get a decoration as a daily gift or from the frog puzzle, you can put them into a habitat and then immediately sell them. This is not a great way to make money, but you can make money this way, so I'm listing it here for completeness. Note that if you buy a decoration from the supply shop, it costs a lot more than the sell price, so it's not a way to make money.